Whenever you boot up your computer some programs automatically start running from the startup folder that exists. Some of the applications that run are defined by the system itself, meaning that the system has a set of applications that it decided to run whenever the user boots up, and some applications are user-defined, meaning we users can define some applications to run whenever the system starts. In this article, we are going to look at how to add and remove programs from this startup programs folder so that we control which applications are a part of the windows 10 startup programs folder.
What is the windows 10 startup program folder?
When you boot up your system a set of programs start running automatically. These are called startup programs. These programs are a part of the windows 10 startup program folder so that the Operating System can easily identify which programs to run whenever the system is started. The folder contains the links to the programs and not the program itself. So do not be confused that whether the whole application has been installed in the windows 10 startup folder, it is not. A link is present which in turn triggers the launch of those programs.
Why is it important to manage the windows 10 startup program folder?
You might be wondering why is it so important/ if you have any application that you work on all the time then to save a few clicks and a minute of your time, you can add it to the startup folder, and everything will be taken care of. Your program will start running the minute the computer boots up. This adds to your productivity and saves a minute of your time.
In case there are applications that you find not very useful as a part of the startup programs then you can remove them to save time and space on RAM. Just adding and removing the applications from the startup folder can give a major boost to your productivity.
How to add programs to the startup folder?
Most of the programs like discord have it in their settings themselves giving you an option to enable the application to launch when the system starts. This way you need not much work, all you need to do is just enable the start when the system launches the option, and you are set.
If those options are not available in the settings of the program then follow these steps:
- Create a shortcut to the desktop for whichever application you want to add to the startup folder.
- Once you create the desktop shortcut, copy the shortcut file
- Open the Run command by pressing Windows + R button and type “shell:startup” in it, and the folder for startup programs will open up
- Once the folder opens just paste the shortcut in it and you can close
Also Read: Windows cannot detect the network’s proxy settings automatically
How to disable or remove programs from the windows startup programs folder?
The process is quite simple and extremely similar to adding programs to the startup folder. Follow these steps:
- Open the Run command by pressing the Windows + R key. Once it opens, type “shell:startup” in it, and the startup folder will open.
- In the folder shortcuts for all the applications that will open when the system launches will be present
- Now all you need to do is delete shortcuts of the applications that you don’t want to launch when the system starts. Once done you can close the folder and that’s it.
Managing the windows 10 startup program folder is extremely important as this will not only add to your productivity but also reduce the unnecessary burden on the processor and RAM. You can use it to your complete advantage by adding and removing files.