Savefrom.net is a website that was made so that people could download videos from sites like YouTube. The user gives a link to the video they want to download, chooses a format, and then clicks the “Download” button to finish the process.
It’s important to know that downloading videos from Savefrom.net is safe and won’t give your computer an infection or cause any other problems. But it is against the law to download videos from YouTube or other sites like it.
Also, online reviews show that people who use this website are often sent to questionable sites because it uses multiple advertising networks. This could lead to people downloading or installing things they didn’t want to.
Savefrom.net in Detail
On the Savefrom.net website, there are many ads that, when clicked, take the user to websites that might not be safe. If you go to these sites and click on their ads, you might end up downloading and installing programs you don’t want.
Some of these websites may have scripts that cause unwanted apps to be downloaded and installed. Some of these websites may even be scams that trick people into downloading these apps by showing fake errors, virus alerts, or other misleading pop-ups and notifications.
Most of the time, these fake websites tell visitors that their computers are infected or have errors and tell them to download suspicious apps or contact scammers. Scammers usually try to get people to pay for unwanted apps or fake tech support services.
Also, the Savefrom.net redirects often take people to sites that ask for permission to show push notifications, which people may give without meaning to. This lets the website show pop-ups and ads that the user doesn’t want, which can lead to being redirected to pages that aren’t safe, unwanted downloads, installations, and other problems.
Some examples of push notifications are as follows:
During the research, Savefrom.net redirects users to Ak.hetaruwg.com. VirusTotal flagged Ak.hetaruwg.com as malicious:
Ak.hetaruwg.com is part of a redirect chain. This means that people who visit the site are sent to one or more harmful websites. This can put users at risk of security problems like installing malware, getting phished, or having their personal information stolen. Also, the user’s device could get malware, which could compromise their data, make their device run slower, or cause other problems. In this case, you should avoid going to the website and take steps to protect your device, like running a malware scan and keeping your security software up-to-date.
Is Savefrom.net Safe?
Using Savefrom and similar YouTube downloaders can be unsafe for several reasons:
- Copyright infringement: Downloading videos from YouTube or other video-sharing websites is illegal and violative of their terms of service. This could result in legal consequences, including fines and lawsuits.
- Security risks: Many YouTube downloaders are unreliable and may contain malware or other malicious software that can harm your device or steal your personal information.
- Unwanted downloads: Downloading videos from these websites can also result in unwanted software installations, including toolbars, browser extensions, and other unwanted programs.
- Poor quality: The quality of the downloaded video may be lower than the original due to the compression and conversion processes used by the downloader website.
- Spam and ads: Some YouTube downloaders are filled with pop-up ads, banners, and other unwanted promotions, which can be annoying and distracting.
Therefore, it is generally safer to use legitimate and trustworthy methods to download videos, such as those provided by the video-sharing website itself or official third-party apps.
How to protect yourself when using Savefrom.net?
Here are some steps you can take to protect yourself when using a YouTube downloader:
- Use a reputable antivirus program: Make sure you have a reputable antivirus program installed on your computer and keep it updated.
- Keep your software updated: Keep all your software, including your web browser, operating system, and other applications, up to date to patch any security vulnerabilities.
- Enable pop-up blocking: Install a reputable ad-blocker and enable the pop-up blocker in your web browser to prevent unwanted pop-ups and downloads.
- Avoid clicking on suspicious ads: Be wary of ads on the website, especially those that ask you to download software or plugins. They may contain malware.
- Use a reputable video downloader: Consider using a reputable video downloader, such as 4K Video Downloader https://www.4kdownload.com/, to download videos from YouTube. These tools are designed specifically for this purpose and often have built-in security features to protect your computer.
What to do If you suspect that your computer has been infected?
If you experience any symptoms of malware infection after using a YouTube downloader, here are some steps you can take:
- Disconnect from the Internet: Disconnect from the Internet to prevent the malware from spreading.
- Run a malware scan: Run a malware scan on your computer using a reputable antivirus program.
- Uninstall suspicious software: If the malware scan detects any suspicious software, uninstall it immediately.
- Remove unwanted push notifications: If you’ve granted permission for a website to show push notifications, you can remove them from your web browser’s settings. In Google Chrome, for example, go to Settings > Advanced > Privacy and security > Site Settings > Notifications, and remove any unwanted notifications.
- Reset your browser: Reset your web browser to its default settings, as the malware may have changed your browser settings.
- Keep your software updated: Make sure you have the latest updates installed for your operating system and all installed software, including your web browser.
- Seek professional help: If you’re unable to remove the malware on your own, seek the help of a professional computer repair service.
It’s important to act quickly and take the necessary steps to prevent the malware from spreading or causing more damage. Regularly backing up your important data can help you recover your files if they become corrupted or lost due to a malware attack.
Remove Unwanted Push Notifications
Below we will teach you how to turn them off.
- Click on ‘three dots menu’ button at the top-right corner of the Google Chrome window.
- Select ‘Settings’, scroll down to the bottom and click ‘Advanced’.
- At the ‘Privacy and Security’ section click ‘Site settings’.
- Click on ‘Notifications’.
- Locate Savefrom.net and click the three vertical dots button next to it, then click on ‘Remove’.
- Open Chrome.
- Tap on the Menu button (three dots) on the top right corner of the screen.
- In the menu tap ‘Settings’, and scroll down to ‘Advanced’.
- In the ‘Site Settings’, tap on ‘Notifications’, locate Savefrom.net and tap on it.
- Tap the ‘Clean & Reset’ button and confirm.
- In the top right corner, click the Firefox menu (three bars).
- In the drop-down menu select ‘Options’. In the left side select ‘Privacy & Security’.
- Scroll down to ‘Permissions’ section and click ‘Settings…’ button next to ‘Notifications’.
- Find Savefrom.net, click the drop-down menu and select ‘Block’.
- Click ‘Save Changes’ button.
- Click the More button (three dots) in the top-right corner of the window.
- Scroll down, locate and click ‘Settings’. In the left side select ‘Advanced’.
- In the ‘Website permissions’ section click ‘Manage permissions’.
- Disable the on switch for Savefrom.net.
- Click the Gear button on the top-right corner of the browser.
- Select ‘Internet options’.
- Click on the ‘Privacy’ tab and select ‘Settings’ in the pop-up blockers section.
- Locate Savefrom.net and click the ‘Remove’ button to delete the site.
- Go to ‘Preferences’ in the Safari menu.
- Select the ‘Websites’ tab and then select the ‘Notifications’ section on the left panel.
- Find Savefrom.net and select it, click the ‘Deny’ button.
Read more: How to Clear RAM on Android in 5 Easy Steps?
Run a Malware Scan
You can use Malwarebytes to run a malware scan on your computer. Malwarebytes is a well-known and reputable security software that is designed to detect and remove malware, including viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. Running a scan with Malwarebytes can help identify and remove any malware that may have infected your computer after visiting a suspicious website.
It’s important to note that Malwarebytes is just one of the many security tools available, and it’s always a good idea to use multiple security tools for the best protection against malware. The 5 Best Malware Removal Tools.
Here is a step-by-step guide to using Malwarebytes:
- Download Malwarebytes to your computer, use a link below. Follow the on-screen instructions to install it.
Category: Security tools
Update: April 15, 2020
- Find the Malwarebytes icon on your desktop or in your start menu and double-click it to launch the program.
- Once Malwarebytes is open, click the “Scan Now” button to start the scan. Malwarebytes will scan your computer for malware and other malicious software.
- After the scan is complete, Malwarebytes will display a list of any malware or other threats it has found. Review the results to see what needs to be removed.
- Click the “Quarantine Selected” button to remove the identified threats from your computer.
- If prompted, restart your computer to complete the removal process.
- Make sure to keep Malwarebytes up-to-date by regularly checking for updates.
The following video demonstrates how to use MalwareBytes to remove browser hijackers, adware and other malware.
It’s a good idea to use safe browsing habits, like only downloading software from trusted sources and keeping your software and browser extensions up to date. Using antivirus software can also help you find and remove any adware or other harmful software that may have been installed on your device.
We hope you learned more about Savefrom.net from this article. Please leave a comment if you have questions or more information for the people who read this site.