When you send a message to another user on Instagram, the service makes a “read receipt.” When you open the app, you’ll see a notification that they’ve read your message. When you open the conversation, you’ll see that they’ve also read it.
If you’re the person who got the message, you might not want the sender to know when or if you read it. Instagram doesn’t have a direct way to turn off read receipts, but there are a few ways around this.
Here are some things you can try to stop Instagram from sending you to read receipts.
How to Stop Instagram Read Receipts Temporarily
One way around this is to put your phone into airplane mode and turn off Wi-Fi. Then you can read the person’s message. If you turn off your data connection, you can read Instagram messages without any read receipts showing up.
This is because Instagram can’t tell its servers (or the person who sent the message) that you’ve read it. This is only temporary, though, because once you connect to the internet again, your read receipt will be updated.
How to Hide Instagram Read Receipts on iPhone
To hide Instagram read receipts on iPhone:
- Swipe down from the top of the screen to bring up the control center.
- Tap the Airplane Mode button.
- Alternatively, you can open Settings and toggle on the Airplane Mode option.
- On the same screen, under Airplane Mode, tap Wi-Fi.
- Toggle off the Wi-Fi button to ensure Wi-Fi on your phone is entirely disabled.
How to Hide Instagram Read Receipts on Android
You can easily disable Wi-Fi and turn on Airplane mode on Android devices. This will allow you to temporarily hide your read receipts on Instagram.
To hide Instagram read receipts on Android:
- Swipe down on the screen to open the notifications area and tap Airplane mode.
- Tap the Wi-Fi button to ensure that your phone’s Wi-Fi is off.
You can read your Instagram messages after you turn off Wi-Fi and put your phone in “airplane mode.” You won’t get read receipts until you connect to the internet again.
Also, if you want to read their messages on the web, you can put a Chromebook into airplane mode and then read your messages.
Read More: Is Wordtune the Best AI writing Assistant?
Turn Off Instagram Message Notifications
When you tap the Instagram notification button for a message, a read receipt is sent automatically. You can turn off Instagram’s message notifications so that you don’t accidentally tap on them.
To disable message notifications on Instagram:
- Launch the Instagram app on your iPhone or Android device.
- Tap your account icon in the lower-right corner.
- Select the menu button in the top-right corner of the screen.
- Tap Settings when the menu appears.
- Select Notifications from the menu.
- Tap Messages and Calls from the menu.
- Now, turn off the Message Requests and Messages option.
Stopping Instagram Read Receipts
Until Instagram gives you a direct way to turn off read receipts, one of the above workarounds will do the trick to stop them for now. Of course, you won’t be able to reply to any messages until you turn Wi-Fi back on and turn off Airplane mode. You can’t turn off read receipts, but you can read your messages without marking them as read if you do it offline.
Check out some of the best Instagram tips and tricks if you’re new to the service and want to get the most out of it. You might also want to know how to save a copy of your Instagram data on your computer. If you’re worried about the safety of your information, don’t forget to remove your Instagram contacts.