Before starting to discuss how to solve discord’s overlay issue, let us first understand what discord is.
Discord is a communication/messaging application that has been around for a long time. Lately, it has become popular among many people yet remains underrated. Initially, the application was focused on the gaming community. It has features like voice chat, screen share, game live streaming, video call, and many more. At the point of its release, gamers found it more useful than all others. But all of this changed when the lockdowns started and more people had to rely on messaging apps to get their work done. The number of users has been increasing throughout the years and many non-gamers started using the application.
The team of discord developers was aware of this gradual migration and started rolling out updates and features that will become extremely useful like building a community. Sometimes during these updates due to some errors, discord’s overlay may not work. This is a very common issue that many people have been encountering lately due to discord rolling out updates very frequently. In this article, we are going to look at how we can solve this discord overlay problem.
1st Solution: Enable discord’s in-game overlay
- Open discord and click on user settings
- Go to the overlay tab and check whether the in-game overlay is enabled
- Now save the changes and restart discord to check whether the changes are working.
Also Read: How to change your status on discord
2nd Solution: Run discord as administrator
- Right-click on the discord icon and select the properties option
- Navigate to the Compatibility tab and select run as administrator option in it
- Now restart discord to check whether the change in setting has had any impact
3rd Solution: Try disabling third-party antivirus software
Sometimes third-party software may interfere with normal operations of various software as they will flag some activities as threats. This can create some chaos in the respective application. So whatever external antivirus application you are using, try disabling it while using discord. If you find it working then you need to add discord to the exclusion list of antivirus so that it does not flag or scan discord for threats.
Also Read: How to do text formatting in discord?
4th Solution: Hardware acceleration
- Go to discord settings and navigate to the Appearance tab on the left side of settings menu
- Go to the hardware acceleration option and turn it off
- Restart discord and your game to check whether the change in settings is working
5th Solution: Reinstall discord
- Go to the control panel and select uninstall a program option
- Right-click on discord and select uninstall option
- Now restart your PC
- Go to the discord website and download the application and install it. Check whether the issue has been resolved.
This discord overlay not working issue is a pretty common one and many people have been using it. This issue will be resolved with discord’s updates 99% of the time so you need not panic. Do not resort to any other methods unless and until discord update does not solve your issue. Happy gaming!