If there isn’t a blank page in the document itself, your Canon printer shouldn’t print one. There are a number of potential reasons why you might be getting extra blank prints, with low ink levels being a key one.
If your printer’s ink levels are low or its ink cartridges are empty, nothing will print. Similarly to this, any type of blockage in the printhead prevents the ink from being sprayed onto the paper.
Additionally, if the paper settings are incorrect or the incorrect paper type and size are used, your printer may output a blank page.
Test Printer for Faults
You should first determine whether the issue is with the printer or the PC if your Canon printer is printing blank pages. This would make it very simple to identify the root of the problem.
If your printer has a built-in scanner, I advise making a photocopy of the document. There shouldn’t be a problem with the printer if the photocopy comes out correctly. Work on fixing the problems with your PC.
You can also try printing from another device by connecting it to the printer. It will aid in excluding the problematic gadget. Continue to the additional remedies below if the printer is still printing blank pages.
Note: Sometimes, the roller wheels of your printer can take in more than one paper at a time and cause issues. For example, the printer might intake two pages while printing a one-page document. In such a case, the second page will be printed blank.
Such things generally happen when you have not placed the papers correctly in the paper tray. So, you should always know how to insert papers in your printer correctly.
Install Official Drivers
If you haven’t yet installed the official printer drivers from the manufacturer, you’re losing out on a lot of features.
Without drivers, you are unable to modify your print settings or use printer maintenance programs like ink flushing. Additionally, without printer drivers, your computer is unable to even connect to the printer properly.
It causes a number of mistakes, such as blank pages being printed by the printer. Install Canon’s official drivers whenever possible to prevent similar issues.
- Go to the official Canon support page.
- Type your printer name in the search box and select it from the list of options that appears.
- Select your OS version on the next page.
- Download the driver.
- Run the launcher and follow the instructions to install the driver to your system.
Change the Paper Settings
Use print-ready paper that is compatible with your Canon printer at all times, and then modify the paper settings to match what is in the paper tray.
You will get the paper size and paper type mismatch errors if you don’t, and the printer will print blank pages as a result.
- Open Control Panel > View devices and printers.
- Select your Canon printer > right-click it.
- Open Printing preferences.
- Choose the correct paper type/Media Type and Paper Size.
- Then click Apply > OK.
Check Ink Levels and Cartridges
When there are any issues with the ink, you frequently get the 5200 error on your Canon printer. However, occasionally it might also make your printer print blank pages.
For instance, using a non-compatible cartridge, installing the cartridge incorrectly, or using a printer with low ink levels can all result in blank outputs.
This checklist might help you resolve issues with ink and cartridges.
- Make sure you are using Canon-compatible and genuine cartridges.
- Remove the protective seal of the cartridge and check if it is dislodged from the cartridge casing.
- Check ink levels and ensure they are at sufficient levels if you are using ink tank printers like Canon PIXMA series printers.
By printing a nozzle check pattern, you may quickly determine the ink levels in your Canon printer.
- Open View devices and printers from the Control Panel.
- Right-click Canon printer.
- Go with the Printing preferences option.
- Jump to Maintenance and click Nozzle Check.
- Tap Print Check Pattern.
- Click OK.
- Your printer will eject a printout that helps you check the ink level on your printer.
- Refill the ink accordingly.
I advise cleaning the printheads after you have confirmed the ink and cartridge status.
Over time, paper dust and ink smears block the printhead’s nozzles, preventing the ink from being sprayed. In the end, it results in blank pages being printed by the printer.
Start by using Canon’s inbuilt head cleaning tool.
- Open Canon printer s Printing preferences.
- Go to the Maintenance tab.
- Select the Cleaning, Deep Cleaning, and Ink Flush tool one after another and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the cleaning process.
If this doesn’t work, you should take your Canon printer’s printheads out and manually clean them. For information on how to manually clean the printheads, see this article.
Fix Issues With MacOS
After updating to macOS version 11 Big Sur, many Mac users have reported that their Canon printer started generating blank pages.
This version of macOS is currently experiencing numerous printing issues, including errors like “cannot communicate with the printer at this time.”
If you experience a similar issue, I advise you to switch to a different version of macOS and see if it helps.
Get Professional Help
In the worst-case scenario, your Canon printer’s printhead may have developed a fault. or there can be more hardware issues. Get your printer mended by a pro by going to the closest Canon printer repair facility.